As we enter 2021 with hope in sight for the end of covid there is an opportunity to improve your fitness beginning today. Todays topic will include a boot camp 101 for racquet sports. Here are 10 things you can do to improve your game off court. This is about a 60 minute program that you should do everyday. Feel free to mix up your conditioning with, biking, skiing, yoga, spinning, etc. There are certain racquet sport practice rituals that will help you thrive! Enjoy! Happy New Year!
1. Walk, jog, and run. 30 or more minutes is best. Adjust your jog and run to your current level of fitness. It is best to mix it up in intervals. This simulates the type of breathing needed for racquet sport stamina.
2. Eat well. You know how to to this. You just have to do it. Don't make it rocket science. Keep it simple. Stick to a menu that you create.
3. Hydrate! Everything is better when you do this.
4. Practice the motions of racquet sports. Push your self with footwork and point simulations. Also have a purpose and visualize your shots going to court targets with purpose. Practice different point scenarios with footwork and shadow swings.
5. Do push-ups (modify as needed), crunches, and squats.
6. Train with a medicine ball.
7. Train with stretch bands.
8. Do you physical therapy exercises as part of your training forever!
10. Watch instructional videos and watch the pro videos.
The first serve percentage should be around 65%. This means that over half your first serves should be going in. If not you need to work on consistency and technique to up that percentage. The toss should be at 1 o'clock for a righty and 11 o'clock for a lefty. This is the optimum power zone for the serve. One way to develop power is to try and hit the back fence of the other side of the court with a straight line drive without moving your feet. It doesn't matter if you make it or not. This teaches you balance and tossing consistency. Give it a shot! After a few then try to hit in the service box and notice your power and depth of serve increase!